Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Redeeming Bitterness


On the subject of bitterness - how do we resolve a wrong done to us?
Well, I have to remember it as a wrong of a person for whom Christ has died, even if that person isn't receiving that redemption personally.
Then I look at myself. Christ died for my sins, too. I can't remember transgression against me as one who is purely innocent. It's not as if I stand in the light and the other person in the darkness, and he or she has to do all the changing, while I bask in my self-righteousness.


(Miroslav Volf in Christianity Today, April 2007, p50)

2 comments:

Megan said...

love the volf! so easy to be bitter in this world, but then when you hold on to it, so easy to let sin master you (Gen 4). now if I can only take your and my good advice....

Kris said...

Self-righteousness can be so comfortable, though, can't it?

I keep remembering the quote: "Bitterness is like taking poison and hoping the other person dies"

It's rather detrimental to ourselves.