Thursday, November 09, 2006

Jubilee Man and Titanic

You may be interested as to the origin of the tag 'Jubilee Man'. Well, sit back with your Earl Grey and laptop, and here goes.

Jubilee is one English translation of the word 'Tuipiri'. Tuipiri is my third name. It is a Maori name first given to my grandfather who was born in New Zealand. Tuipiri's father was an English sea captain, Walter, who emigrated to New Zealand with his family after having visited NZ's shores and being captivated by her beauty. To give his son a name that reflected his own affection for the country, Walter named his newborn Tuipiri in 1900 (there was a jubilee celebrated that year in NZ). The name has continued down the family line - both my sons have Tuipiri in their names. I like the name because of the biblical meaning of Jubilee (see Leviticus 25:10)!

So - Jubilee Man and the Titanic?

A solid rumour has it that Walter was offered the job of captain of Titanic for its maiden voyage - but turned it down.

Phew!

1 comment:

byron smith said...

What a great story. I love it when names have stories to go with them. I asked my mother once why she'd called me "Byron". She said, 'After "Adrian" and "Murray", we'd run out of boys' names that we liked.'