Monday, November 13, 2006



Bookplates



It's amazing how distracted you can get when you are studying. I've discovered bookplates recently! I guess that makes me a certifiable nerd...some may say "Finally he's self-aware!"

Actually it's pretty interesting. Apparently having a bookplate (which is simply an label on the front inside of a book which identifies the book as yours) was a very big deal once upon a time. Kings and queens would have special logos and emblems designed specifically for bookplates. Prestigious libraries also have had unique bookplates designed for their items. Harpo Marx had bookplates made for his library.

There are dedicated bookplate societies and artists. Just google 'bookplates' and see what happens.

I think I'd better get back to studying now...

6 comments:

byron smith said...

I love buying old books with whole lists of previous owners, each name crossed out and replaced by another.

Of course, this probably means that the book is no good.

Andrew Paterson said...

Thanks for your thoughts Byron, and your posts. My first comments! Due to past experience I agree with your comment about old multi-owned books!

Byron, I am currently working out how to use the links section. If you don't mind, I'll add your blog. Loved your series on heaven. For everyone else, visit Byron at http://nothing-new-under-the-sun.blogspot.com/ .

overthere said...

So do you like being a blogmaster? Is it a great way to procrastinate your studying? :) Caught 'cha.

Lew Jaffe said...

Thought you might enjoy my bookplate blog:
Http://bookplatejunkie.blogspot.com

Lew Jaffe Philadelphia, Pa.

Andrew Paterson said...

Thanks Lew. I've had a brief look already and will doubtless spend hours looking through all your bookplates after my exams. So - was the JFK bookplate authentic after all?

Have fun in New England.

Andrew

byron smith said...

Thanks for the link! Sorry to have only just made it back to this post.