Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Billy Stewart Sings 'Summertime'

I'm on holidays this week and have discovered the music of Billy Stewart. I'm listening to his version of 'Summertime'.

He made this arrangement of Summertime when he was only 29 - (fantastic achievement!) - then died in a car accident only a few years later. What a loss. You can find his music on iTunes if you are interested.

Coincidentally, being 35, I have been aware of my own mortality in the last year. I was thinking - if I was to live out an Australian average male age, I would have maybe 45 years or so left to live...although I like to think of it as being half way to heaven (if not way more than half, only God knows that one) now.

Being a bit slow on the uptake, being much more aware of my mortality has been truly, marvellously liberating.

Paul, when he was commenting on those who preached the gospel out of false motives in Philippians, could say 'What does it matter? the important thing is the gospel is preached'.

It feels kind of like that. Time is short. Petty things become clearer. Forgiveness seems to come easier with a 'forward to heaven' perspective. Seeing what is important and decision making becomes sharper and much more fun!

This may seem like a morbid post, but actually it's a post about Christian freedom!

Incidentally, have you noticed how hard it is to find the definitive 80s music collection??

1 comment:

Kris said...

Yes. They're always missing that one important school dance song...


On the main topic, I've been feeling the same regarding mortality. There are certain tasks that become more important, like reading to the children and introducing them to Jesus. Far more important than having a gleaming kitchen floor! :)