Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What is Good Preaching?

What is good preaching? What is good preaching?

If you listen to some people it's all about line by line preaching - leave the application for the people in the congregation to work out for themselves as God leads them by his Spirit. To me, this is more like teaching a course than preaching.

For others, it's all about the application of God's word rather than the explanation of it. This can prove to be dangerous as it can reveal more about the speaker's opinions than faithfully preaching what God is trying to tell us in his word (it is also lazy - not doing the hard work of praying/understanding/wrestling with the text).

I was reading something the other night on this preaching dilemma.

The author wrote that pastoral preaching should divide up something like this: half explanation of the Bible (ie expositional preaching) and half application. Otherwise, he wrote, you are actually teaching rather than pastorally preaching to your congregation...

I have heard all of the above, and probably been guilty of all of the above at some point. It's an interesting discussion.

2 comments:

Megan said...

add to that, that sometimes someone can preach well by the book, but you wonder whether God was in it, but someone else may break all the rules, but have a godly effect on a person's heart. Perhaps good preaching is that used by God for his ends.

Jessica Lowe said...

Someone I heard preaching the other day had an impact on me - the application he was talking about changed the way I did some things. Am I a slave to sin, or a slave to Jesus? I've got to be something, I'm a slave to Jesus.

Thanks to Paul Grimmond, CBS.