Thursday, March 29, 2007

Things I...


My beautiful wife has come up with a list of things that have shaped her life and things she wishes she cared more about. Here's my off-the-cuff equivalent list using her categories:


Things I think about a lot - and which have shaped my life


  • Discovering new things from God through his word

  • The underdog, the not-so-popular, the dysfunctional personality type, the 'worker bees' as opposed to the elite, the oppressed, the strugglers, the left behind, the marginalised

  • Respect and dignity for those that fall within the above list

  • A need for structure and order

  • Researching anything and the process of learning new things

  • Listening and giving space and time to people to present their true selves and shed their defensive layers

  • Aesthetics (ie trying to make things look good!)

  • Making systems work better

Things I think about a lot - but about which I haven't done very much


  • Making people aware of the importance of overseas Christian mission
  • Making my day more efficient
  • Making friends with parents at my kids' school
  • Walking more
  • Fixing my rear bike tyre (8 months now)

Things I don't care much about - but they shape my life anyway


  • Detail

  • What I eat

  • Housework

  • Mobiles

  • Getting kids in and out of cars

Things I wish I cared about a bit more


  • Saving money

  • Maintaining any kind of neat garden

  • Housework of any kind

  • Keeping in touch with people from the past

Things I thought I didn't care about, but it turns out I did



  • Other people's manners

  • What people think of me

  • Baldness!

  • Computers and cars

  • Being interrupted

  • 'Cave time'

1 comment:

Megan said...

aren't your wife and son beautiful in this photo!